Re: [Epic] Deathwing Detachment 2

From: Philip Troy Routley <ptr320_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:01:37 -0600 (CST)

>Deathwing: As described in Codex: Angels of Death Members are immune to
>the effects of psychology. Members of the Deathwing are know for their
>unwillingness to back down in the face of horror. To represent this the
>Deathwing special ability allows detachment members to auto-pass ALL
>leadership tests, and ignore the effects of Blast markers.

When you say 'ignore the effects of Blast markers' what do you mean? Never
take any and thus always pass leadership checks (which are based on BM's
after all) and never have morale reduced at the end of the turn and never
have reduced firepower? If so, 3pts per unit is a bit low- try about 20
pts per unit - a detachment that you simply cannot suppress is to powerful
in a game where the suppressive effects of blast markers are such an
important part of the tactics.

>You may include as many Deathwing detachments in your army as you wish.
>However, you should note that the Deathwing is just a single company and
>can muster a maximum of 40 units, not including command section units,
>i.e.: Deathwing Master and Librarian. No matter how many Deathwing
>detachments you have there can only be 1 Master of the Deathwing. Each
>detachment, however, is allowed to take a Librarian. If you do have other
>Deathwing detachments just follow the chain of command to see who is in
>control of each detachment.

40 units? That could be 200 terminators. With 100 marines in a company,
that is at least 2x to many. Restrict to 1 detachment period - after all I
doubt that the dark angels actually have 100 suits of terminator armour
operational at any one time.

Anyway, I think that the 'stubborn' ability that space marines already have
is good enough to simulate immunity to psychology - its good enough for
chaos, why should loyalists be any better. The less special units in the
game the better.

Troy