Re: [Epic] Airstrip card/terrain idea

From: Philip Troy Routley <ptr320_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 14:46:18 -0600 (CST)

> I came up with the idea of making a modelled airstrip that
>>is larger.
>
>>The bonus is, when its complete, I can use it not only for keeping track of
>>flyer status, but as terrain on the table too.
>
>>Attached is a JPEG rendering of what is done so far.
>
>Looks nice, but when you say jpeg rendering, you mean a mesh right? Or are
>you using the original meaning, to render a drawing or sculpture? Either
>way, it looks great, and even if it does not look exactly like that in r/l.
>The way the airstrips and taxi lanes are set up is very dynamic, when you
>described it I pictured it to be the fairly straight line that the cardboard
>was, but it looks excellent. It would rock if you stole some ideas for that
>hanger bay someone did for the Golden Demon Award (I'm not sure if he one,
>but it was featured in a white dwarf.)

I made a virtual model with Specular Infini-D and ray-traced it, them
converted the PICT to JPEG with photoshop.

>The only problem I can see is the fact that the airstrip is like the bench
>and casualty area in Blood Bowl, as in, not part of the playing area.
>Another thing, if it is on the field, then we may have the first case of a
>flier being attacked in close combat. It remindes me of the time I made
>boxes for the little flat card crates that came in a WD for use with
>Necromunda. I decided it would look better. What happened was that someone
>would dash for cover behind one of them, figure it into his plan, and when
>he grabbed it, he found he was sitting in the middle of nowhere. That was
>just stupidity, the worst part was that after the crate was open, the
>character was carrying it around. If he died, then what was used to mark
>where the crate was dropped? The size we made them was almost impossible to
>carry. Oh well, they looked nice.

Well, I can use it three ways.
1) keep it off table and use it just to track flyer status.
2) use it as terrain and to track flyer status, and assume that the flyers
can't be hit (they are actually using a similiar airstrip some distance
away).
3) use it as terrain and to track flyer status in a special scenario where
landed flyers can be damaged.

Troy