Re: [Epic] Airstrip card/terrain idea

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2097 21:11:05 -0400

----------

> It's called Games Workshop are cheap assed bastards that over charge. The
> Canadian factory is in Missausaga, not one days drive from home sweet
home.

> What else would you call half the price of the Space hulk boxed set for
half
> the terminators in it! (I think you get like 10 Termies in the boxed
game,
> along with 20 'stealers)
> In Canada that would be 5 Termies (The exact same plastic termies too)
for
> $50, while the game costs $100 and you also get 5 more termies, and 20
> 'stealers, along with rules, dice, cards and stuff. Does that mean A:
Games
> Workshop can swallow around $50 (I think that's how much 20 'stealers
cost,
> prolly more) as well as whatever it cost to make all the books, lets say
> $30, that's $80 that GW loses with the sale of every boxed set. Or B: GW
way
> overprices. I know that I got a miniature from ramf for $5 that weighed
> almost the same as a dreadnought, and IMO looked cooler (Of course, the
mold
> quality was a bit off, but that does not account for the $45 difference.)
> Which reminds me, how the hell are 5 plastic miniatures the same price as
> Dreadnaught?
>
> Well, I do not know all the ins and outs of GW, but that is what I see.
I'll
> still buy the stuff, I can still almost afford it if I save up. I have to
> say, GW games are some of the most expensive miniature games out there,
and
> their fluff seems like, well, fluff.
>
> Tyler

Yeah, I'm not so sure how things are in Britain, the UK, and Auckland, but
I often feel that Canucks are kind of getting the shaft in terms of
pricing. GW games went from $65, to $85, to $100 over the course of about 5
years. I've been very interested to hear about the online stores that sell
GW stuff discounted, because buying from the outlets here is physically
painful. If you're trying to collect Tyranids, they cost more than a dollar
a stand if you get the new epic 40k infantry boxes straight off the shelf.
In a recent 2,500 pt game I fielded 44 stands of Tyranid warriors; to buy
that many now, from the boxes, would cost $330, before taxes (of course,
you would get a lot of other infantry, too).

The thing is, of course, the Workshop can afford to charge that much as
long as people will pay that much, and as long as GW keeps putting out good
games, people will keep paying. I am a bit nervous about Epic 40k, though,
because the relative price has gone up a lot. Fortunately, it is by far the
best set of rules GW has yet put out (what was that, Agro?) so that might
ofset it's newfound expense.

Eugene