Re: [Epic] cheese

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 00:11:59 -0500

> From: John A Chapman <jac_at_...>
>
> > > reasonable the points costs are. Chaos legions are cheaper (at least close in
> > > price - its been a while since ive seen the cards) than regular marines, and
> > > generally better (much better than tacticals,arguably better than assault
> > > troops - is that extra 5 move really needed all that often when you have t-hawks
> > > ? - although they are missing devastators..) and in addition to that get free
> > > rewards...
> >
> > Free? The rewards cost 50 pts. Plus you have to take
>
> Ummm 50 pts - the cost of the chaos champion - the cost of the
> convenience of being able to take a large group (rare for chaos).

        No other company that I know of pays anything for
their command unit or for being available in company strength,
except for the Rough Riders and that's obviously a misprint.
50 pts can mean alot - that's another THawk, 5 more fiends,
upgrading Beastmen to Minotaurs...

> Yeah the ravenwings not bad - but not really points efficient (well
> its about as good as marines get with the exception of scout companies).

        It's 400 points for 550 points of bikes/speeders.
THat's not points efficient?

> Maybe I think too much about the more visible aspects of effectiveness and
> not as much about stuff like break points...But a chaos legion in thawks is
> still heaps cheaper than any marine co. in thawks (you havent paid for those
> rhinos you never had - 150 points is a fair bit to pay for a slightly higher
> break point).

        The legions break early on in the game, 8 guys isn't
a lot to kill. A SM company in Thawks is 19 models with a break
of 15, meaning that even if you fully wipe out 2 detachments,
they're still not broken. Unusually high break points are often
underrated, but they're a big advantage and well worth those
150 points.

> Being able to use chaos cards is great too - youre a bit better
> where and when you need to be.

        True, I'll give you that one. The cards do increase
the value of the troops.

> Not necessarily outright cheap but cheap for the price - marines,
> trolls,minotaurs,tarantulas,thawks,legions, chaos squats arent bad (not as
> good as marines though) and excluding battle groups their titans are typically
> better for the same price. Sure they have some expensive stuff, but its
> pretty easy to not take the overpriced stuff and just take the good stuff

        Sure, if you want an all-chaos marine army. Taking
units with character is a lot more interesting.

        Trolls and minotaurs are only 'cheap' compared to
beastmen, which are overpriced IMHO. Tarantulas are worth
exactly 100 pts as far as I'm concerned, they rarely do
much of anything the times I've used them. The squats aren't
bad but they're not exactly a steal, either. The Thawk is
definitely underpriced, but marines get them as easily as
chaos... and while chaos titans get a free +2 CAF and can
use the energy whip, I haven't seen a single titan fielded
since TL came out, so you're comparing a 900 point chaos
warlord to a 500 point imperial one (or a 500 point chaos
reaver to a 333 point imperial one).

        Chaos does not get any breaks when it comes to
force selection. If you really believe that, go look at
the Tyranids.

Scott
shupes_at_...