RE: [Epic] Airstrip card/terrain idea

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:47:08 -0500

>> In epic, almost every infantry can shoot
>> In whfb only archer types can shoot
>>
>> In Epic there are many different kinds of tanks
>> In whfb there are tank type things, but if you read the fluff, not
>enough
>> for an epic sized battle, basically the whole thing would be
>infantry. Now,
>> Epic FB would have to be played on a 4x4 table, otherwise can you
>image how
>> long it will take the dwarfs to get anywhere, seeing as they don't
>have an
>> troop carrying tanks (That I know of)
>>

>---------->Ha-hum? Rhinos? But this is _fantasy_. There are _no_
>troop transports (well, apart from cavalry).
>
>Christian.

-----> My time today is limited, but let me stick in on this...

People have been playing ancient miniature rules since long
before GW came about, and the closest thing they have to tanks
are Elephants. As for the # of men issue, if you caught any of
my WW2 battle size posts, you might remember that even the
largest Epic battles are extremely small. Ancient battles had
tons of men - a Roman legion, at different periods, had
1000 to 5000 men, and many battles had more than 1 legion.
That would be 200 - 1000 stands in Epic scale. How many
infantry stands did you field in your last game of epic...
Not enough ranged attacks? Wizards (who would probably
have a little more to do in Epic fantasy than psykers in
Epic), War Machines, Archers, Dragons, etc. Ranged
attacks would be a little less common, but we might
argue that close combat already dominates the game in
Epic & E40K anyway...
        I don't know that they will make it, but I would
be interested in it, and I imagine several other list
members would be too. If you've seen WD, you might
have seen the big Games Day diorama with Bretonians
vs. lizardmen - hard for most of us to do in WHFB, but
in an Epic game, it could be done. Imagine a decent
seige, scenario - castles, etc. Could be very cool...

Chris Miller