Re: [Epic] WD212

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 23:04:58 +0100

> More Titan equipment, eh? Do they have their own take on battle
> honors
> as well? Interesting choice of names for the Adeptus Mechanicus
> troops. Hypaspists were what - slingers or were they javeliners?

Alexander's Foot Companions - essentially elite infantry, they are
recorded as having operated on the right of the Macedonian pike phalanx,
and were accordingly probably armed with either long spears (9-12') or
pikes (16'+). They also operated in lighter order in mountainous
terrain, using mainly javelins. It was unusual to see a unit recorded
as fulfilling both the role of main battle line infantry and rough
terrain troops. No slings though.

> Sagitarii = Hunters?

Some sort of Late Imperial Roman cavalry bods, IIRC. Bow armed, most
likely. Not really my area of expertize.

Richard