Re: [Epic] Terrain question...

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 07:49:53 -0700

At 03:59 PM 8/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I would not use the beads unless your pouring over wood of some sort. I
>think it would be to hot for the foam and just melt it away. I also hear
>that the beads really aren't that great. Try looking for a resin type
>material that is just a mix and pour thing, no heat involved.
>
>At 10:31 AM 8/4/97, you wrote:
>>
>>I've just completed cutting out 3 river sections for my sectional gaming
>table.
>>It is now time to paint the river bed. I want to use this table on WH40K
>and
>>EPIC40K scale, so I have a slight dilemma:
>>
>>How do I paint a good-looking river bed that looks realistic in both scales?
>>
>>Also, has anybody used the Woodland Scenics water "beads" that you're
>supposed
>>to melt and pour into your water area? How difficult is it to use? And
>do you
>>think it would damage the foam I'm using for my board (pink insulation
foam)?

>>Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>Chris
>>

>Ravenwing Speeder Motto: Dark Angels don't die, we just go back to the
>rock and regroup!
>
>seether_at_...
>Ezekiel- Grand Master of Librarians

        A good water effect, I've heard (never tried), is to pour clear acryllic
or any kind of clear varnish into a pre prepared river bed. This ensures
that the "water level" is even. You might want to thin it a little. (As
with all terrain building, try a new technique on smaller practice thingys,
so you don't mess up the styrofoam you so pain-stakingly carved).

        By "pre-prepared" I mean painted and textured, to the desired effect.
Marshes should use browns and greens; clear flowing rivers: blues, greens
and grays. Try to put larger pebbles and rocks in the middle of the stream
sticking out above the water level, and paint white "foam" downstream of
it. This makes the overall effect much more dynamic.

        As for using the stuff in both scales? Well, a mighty river in EPIC would
be little more than a rivulet in 40K terms, but I'm sure you'll come up
with a satisfying compromise.

Nickles