Re: [Epic] [E40k] Chaos

From: Thomas Bloom <tbloom_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 02:07:13 -0500

> As some of you know, I've been toying with the idea of a Chaos
>force for a while now. I've already decided that Khorne is going to
>form the backbone of my army, because I like their troops and their
>Demon Engines. (model-wise, even if they do have a few too many
>skulls) The decision was made in the days of Epic 2nd, and I'm not
>about to sell my Bloodletters and Flesh Hounds as I've already spent
>my money on them.
>
> If I were to add a second power to my army to make it more
>viable, which one of the three would you choose? The second power
>could consist of a couple of small detachments to plug holes (my
>wallet claims that this is the better option, but I'm not sure), or it
>could be half of the force.
> Examples of strategies would be helpful to explain why the
>force would be helped a lot.
>
> I have a few boxes of the old Chaos Horde, so if you suggest
>the old plastic minis, I'd be ecstatic. However, the metal I have is
>limited to 2 LoBs, a smattering of GDs, 15 Bloodletters, 15
>Fleshhounds, about 6 Khorne Daemon Engines, and a few assorted
>Daemons. I also have some Imperial Titans that I intended to paint up
>in appropriate colors.
>
>Thanks,
>Mark

CSM's are all around good deals, and give you something to do with all
those rhino's, LR, and whirlwinds from the basic set. Also the Beastmen
from the Old Chaos Horde box will give lots of cheap numbers, they also
allow you to pick up some IG mechinized support (hydras,Leman Russ',
support weapons, ect.). Works well if you have some renagade imperial
Titians to go along with your renagade IG. As for Chaos powers, I've found
that Tzeentch's deamons go well with Khorne's (lords of {pocket} change
leading Fleshounds and flamers is nasty) as well as picking up air Power
from Tzeentch's Doomwings and Firelords. You may also want to pick up some
of Nurgel's contagion engions (the one's with a disruption attack.)
Unfortunatly LoBs are no longer the terror they used to be but are still a
good deal when compared to other titians in that price range. Slaanesh's
titians and Knights are now worth evan less than they used to be, if I
didn't already own whole piles of them I'd never touch them. Silver Towers
ain't that hot either, but if you've still got some left over from SM/TL
days may as well mix 'em in if you've got the points (take two they're
cheap). If you want to add metal to your army i'd go with the Nurgle
Daemon Engines and Chaos Artillery. As far as using up Plastic goes, play
around with the CSM lists and see what works for you and paint them up
apropriatly. And just throw the Beastmen out there for laughs. "Okay the
30 stands of beastmen are on Assualt, oh your shooting them? Damn killed
10! there went 50 points, darn." Better than gretchin and just as cheap.