Re: [Epic] Painting the little guys

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:26:07 -0500

Erik,
Although I'd really like to see your marines with skulls and tactical
symbols on their shoulder pads, I have no desire to emulate you. :-)

I paint my marines a fairly light green (Ral Partha's Shamrock green,
thinned enough that the white primer lightens it quite a bit). I then
wash with RP's Forest Green thinned with water and the matte clear.
I paint guns black with a dap of metal on the end, do the bases,
and that's it. My wife already thinks I spend way too much time
painting, and she may be right, so I'm just trying to get 'em done.

These marines are not intended to be any particular chapter, by the
way. I once was going to call them Dragon Marines and let them take
a special detachment (2nd ed) with 2 devastator stands, the rest
tacticals, and cost it like a Battle Company. But there isn't much
reason to do so in E40K.

I put the older marine figures (from the Space Marine box) on stands
with the devastators, since they are the same type of armor. I
cut the banner off of the Commander's head--I think he looks much
better without it.

I need to find something to put on the banner held by the marine
on my command stand, though. I looked through a huge collection of
decals in the hobby store, but they all seemed to be specific for
what they are for, and have way too many recognizable symbols. I'd
like to find a set of generic decals, or decals for small-scale
historical or fantasy figures. All the ones I was looking at seemed
to be for WWII airplanes.

How do you paint the sergeant figures? It is hard for me even to tell
what I'm looking at. I think he's got his head turned to his right,
has no helmet, and has some kind of device on his right eye. I've
been painting those a variety of shades of pinks and browns, and
painting what I think is the hair black or brown, even if all the
pictures of Space Marines I remember seeing have blonde or white
hair.

to be visible. I really notice, after their base coat, that they
look like green blobs. The wash has been great at bringing out the
details. That's pretty much what I want.

andy
askinner_at_...