Re: [Epic] OFF TOPIC - SCA/COMBAT

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:58:43 -0400 (EDT)

Michael and Christina King <kingcm_at_...> writes:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Chris White wrote:
> > There are three types of fencing: Foil, which uses a straight, square
> > in cross section blade and uses only the torso as a target area; Epee',
> > which uses a heavier, triangular cross section blade with the entire
> > upper body as a target area; and Sabre, which uses a slightly curved
> > blade (not sure of the cross section) and uses the entire body as a
> > target for legal hits.
>
> Pretty close, the Epee use the entire body as target area and the Sabre
> uses the body from the waist up as target area. The cross section of a
> Sabre blade is about 1/2 inch x less than 1/8 inch.

        I thought the largest difference between epee and sabre was
that the epee just had a pointy bit on the end, while the sabre had an
actual blade running down the length as well (both imaginary, of
course). So a legal hit with the sabre included striking with the
edge of the blade, while epee didn't have any slashing attacks.

Mark