RE: [Epic] OFF TOPIC - SCA/COMBAT

From: Michael and Christina King <kingcm_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:50:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Chris White wrote:

> Parts of the SCA does rapier combat as well, (That would be fencing to
> the out side world, BTW).
>
> Sortof, it's a mutant form of fencing, i.e. non-linear. Something I would
> like to try, but most SCA fighting is severly biased toward the extremly
> large people.

Modern fencing is also called 'strip fencing' because both fencers must
stay on the strip. A strip is a 5(?) foot by 50(?) foot area, often with a
special carpet laid down. The bout is stopped if a fencer somehow gets
behind the other fencer.

SCA Rapier uses a square area usually 20x20 foot or larger. The combatants
are allowed to move anywhere within that area. This is often called 'in
the round'

> There are three types of fencing: Foil, which uses a straight, square
> in cross section blade and uses only the torso as a target area; Epee',
> which uses a heavier, triangular cross section blade with the entire
> upper body as a target area; and Sabre, which uses a slightly curved
> blade (not sure of the cross section) and uses the entire body as a
> target for legal hits.

Pretty close, the Epee use the entire body as target area and the Sabre
uses the body from the waist up as target area. The cross section of a
Sabre blade is about 1/2 inch x less than 1/8 inch.

SCA fencing uses three different blades, Epee, Double wide Epee, and
Schlager(sp?). A Double wide Epee is named quite literally, it is a Eppe
that is twice the width. A Schlage blade is very close to a true Rapier in
size, shape and weight. The blade is approx 1 inch wide with an eliptical
cross section at almost 1/2 inch at the widest. Gorgets covering the
throut are required when using Schlager blades. The reason some SCA
Kingdoms are moving towards Schlager blades is that they are almost
impossible to break. There have been several accidents involving broken
Epees.

- Michael
Michael and Christina King
kingcm_at_...