Re: [Epic] Painting the little guys

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:54:11 -0500

>How do you paint the sergeant figures? It is hard for me even to tell
>what I'm looking at. I think he's got his head turned to his right,
>has no helmet, and has some kind of device on his right eye. I've
>been painting those a variety of shades of pinks and browns, and
>painting what I think is the hair black or brown, even if all the
>pictures of Space Marines I remember seeing have blonde or white
>hair.

I go with bolt gun metal for the bionic eye device. A dot of red can
look evil if you place it correctly. I've experimented with all sorts
of hair colors, but actually find that white and yellow (slightly darkened
with a lttle light brown) seem to give the best finished appearence.

I wantd my officers to stand out from the rest of the infantry, so I
left off the usual clan tartan on the right shoulder pad. Instead I
just did both shoulders plain sunburst yellow. (I'm probaly thus the
only miniature painter in history who actually has less detail on his
officers than his line troops) The rest of the troops on his stand
have the tartan, so you can still tell which detatchment he belongs to.

Oh, I said that a dot of red on the bionic eye can look really evil if
you place it right. I should also add that it can look really *stupid*
if you place it wrong or make it too big. Usually I find that just the
metal alone gives me the effect I like.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.