RE: [Epic] More painting of small details

From: Oki Purwanto <oki_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:40:46 +0800

At 08:43 AM 8/13/97 -0700, you wrote:

>>Sauron1 writes; Mark, can you get the English-Japanese translation of
>>"SAURON1" to work. I have a new Bainlord Titan under construction and it
>>needs a name. I tried the suggested service but it din not give me a name.
>> sauron1
>

>Hmmm, my Mandarin was never my strong point. But the first thing that came
>to my mind was "Chao Ren", for Uber(super)-man. Pretty cool isn't it ? But
>this is from a guy who screw up his primary school Mandarin :(
>
>Regards
>Oki
>
> Mandarin is Chinese, Sauron1 is looking for Japanese. I haven't taken
Japanese since elementary school, but I seem to remember there being some
differences.

Uh, there are 3 forms (IIRC) of Japanese characters. One of them (the formal
one, I think) follows after Mandarin. Even though the pronounciation is very
different between Japanese and Mandarin, more often than not, the meaning is
the same.

> I think you may have some troubles finding a direct translation; the best
you can probably hope for is a phonetic approximation. For instance, my name
in class was "Kuh Re Su" (Chris), with the last syllable almost swallowed it
was so quiet.

I think Sauron is pretty aware of the limitations of the translation :)
Otherwise, he would just have put "Sauron" onto his Titan right ?

Regards
Oki