RE: [Epic] More painting of small details

From: Bill Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:30:20 -0400

At 09:01 PM 8/13/97 +0100, you wrote:
><snip>
>
>[Carl Woodrow] > That's cool, I might just organize my Renegade [Carl
Woodrow] > Obsidian Guard into three
>[Carl Woodrow] > sections, and use one character for each :)
>
>[Carl Woodrow] How about you construct the chapter around that much in the
way that the Wolves have the Wolfguard and Longfang companies...giving each
special attributes or charachteristics such as one of the Obsidian symbols
being Heavy wps/devastators and another Scouts etc. Just a thought :)

>Carl Woodrow
>Gryphonne IV - Geneseed
>http://freespace.virgin.net/carl.woodrow/epic/

Apparently if you check your webpage Carl, you can see them, seeing as they
will be appearing there. If you haven't got my earlier letter, then the
reply you sent about my suggestion for the Obsidian Guard went to the wrong
box, so if you could re-send it to bprovick_at_.... Thanks

Here are my ideas for the Obsidian Guard

A few years before the beginning of the Horus Heresy a great company (we
remember that before Horus Chapters were huge) called the Obsidian Guard was
swallowed up by the warp, cut off from the Imperium of Man. Now, more then
10 000 years after the defeat of Horus on Earth, a few scout tendrils of the
vast Obsidian Guard have found their way back to Imperial Space.

Over the years the Obsidian Guard has colonized a large section of the
Galaxy, and has created their own Empire. Most of the populace comprises of
Imperial Guard detachments, with an Elite Space Marine Chapter known among
the Empire as the Fedaykin. These fighting units are lumped together into
what is known as the Black Hand. The ruling body is called the Sarfa, and
they are the only ones that know the Emperor's Fate. Part of the governing
council are made up of extremely high ranking Fedaykin. The rest of the
citizenry within the Obsidian Guard are workers and scholars, the
non-military aspects of any society. It is important to note, that although
the Obsidian Guard was originally a Great Company, time has eroded the proud
warriors to an elite fighting force only slightly larger then today's Chapters.

The Sarfa wish to wrench control of the Imperium from the Emperor, and thus
has deluded the Fedaykin into attacking any target the Sarfa wish. The Sarfa
have deluded themselves into thinking that they have enough control over the
Black Hand to actually attack Earth, but there are enough Marine Chapters to
stop this from happening.

This is all made up as I go along, and I will be writing a more detailed
history and explanation later. I may change things, but basically the
Obsidian Guard is a non-Chaos renagade Chapter, although one by one the
Sarfa is falling to Chaos.

For those who A: know me well or B: know Frank Herbert's Dune well, have
noticed I have borrowed words. They are Sarfa, meaning "To turn away from
God" and Fedaykin, which are death commandos who painted blood on their
shoulders to show that they are willing to die in battle. Of course, this
parallelism to my current colour scheme "Black with red shoulder pads" was
not realized untill today, when I decided to name my Marines Fedaykin.

I said they are known as Fedaykin among the empire, in this I meant the
Obsidian Empire, everyone else just call them the Obsidian Guard.

Now, currently I plan no real special rules for my Obsidian Guard, except to
maybe retro-fit DP9's "availability" system into Epic 40K. Basically, I have
to roll to see if I have access to certain war machines. This is a maybe,
because it might severly limit me. "Gee, I could get anything other then
Imperial Guard, so I only have one detachment to your 20"

If you have any suggestions, let me hear it

Tyler