Re: [Epic] The Hobby

From: Sean A. Upchurch <sau_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:55:54 -0700 (PDT)

> > So I'll throw it out: How important are the mini's vs. the rules or the
> > game itself?
>

> The rules system and background are all importan. I'd play a good wargame
> using little wooden blocks. I'd never buy good miniatures for a game
> that sucked.

> Allen (The Q&A guy)

Hmm. Chris starts another thread that makes me want to reply and I start
working on a long-winded one. Allen then sums up everything I was going
to say in 3 short sentences.

I do want to add though [and you thought this was a long winded "me too"]

We are dealing with 2 hobbies here. The _gaming_ hobby and the _modeling_
hobby. Allen speaks for me wrt the _gaming_ hobby.

For the _modeling_ hobby, a good miniature is *everything*. All those folks
out there super-detailing 1/35 scale AFV probably aren't playing Squad
Leader with them.

So I appreciate a good game for the rules and background. I appreciate a
good miniature for its appearance when assembled/painted/based. A game that
uses miniatures is just a game to me.

Sean "I don't accuse people of playing with unpainted minis when the game's
Monopoly." U