Re: [Epic] Net Epic Gudelines

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 14:25:09 -0500

On 29 Jan 97 at 19:54, Tom O'Neill wrote:

> > FIRST TOPIC
> > 1-Army construction, present system(company cards,etc.) or a individual
> > model points system(each figure assigned a point value), WHAT STAYS OR
> > GOES!
> >
> Keep the card system. Maybe a limitation of one of each type of
> company card and 2 of any type of support card. This should bring
> about more balanced armies and cut down on the cheese.

While I understand the desire to cut down on cheese, limiting company
cards across the board will be a bad idea. Again, I play Space Wolves.
 The Puppies only have two types of infantry companies (the Great
Company). The only difference between the two is the type of Wolf
Guard. If company cards were limited, then the Puppies wouldn't be
able to field much infantry. *Some* companies probably should be
limited (Titan Battle Groups, for example). Perhaps *certain*
companies (and detachments) could have a maximum number allowed in an
army. As many have said, cheese often shows up when too much of a good
thing is used.

> > 2-Order Phase,What will each of the orders mean in terms of movement and
> > firing.First Fire, Advance, Charge, Fallback
> >

> How about borrowing a little from Command Decision.
>
> FF and fallback as before. However, to move, place a chip with 10cm,
> 20cm, etc, with an arrow by the unit. The unit must move in the
> direction of the arrow to about the distance marked, moving a few
> cm less is OK. When set to move 1/2 or less, it advance fires and
> at greater than 1/2 it's charging and can CC (at less than its maximum
> move of course).
>
> This eliminates many ,but not all, of the problems with move-counter-
> move systems. Who wins the iniative decides who shoots first, as
> movement can actually be done simultaneously, with a little talking
> to resolve charges and other unit interactions. This will speed the
> game up (placing orders will take longer.)
>
> This system would require players to plan ahead (Oh my God, thinking!)
> and not simply react to who moves first or second and what orders
> does my opponent have on his units(and how to counter them).
>
> The CD system uses a chip cap, placed over the actual move chip,
> so that you can place the order (and arrow) in the direction
> you want and your opponent can't see it. When revealing, just
> take off the cap.

This isn't necessarily a bad idea. You would have to set maximum
movement at double current movement (i. e. charge rates). However,
this doesn't allow for much in the way of reactions. In "reality",
individual commanders would react to changing battlefield situations.
Under the current system this is represented by initiative. This
proposed system does not seem to allow for much flexibility during the
turn. Already the orders require some planning ahead, but also allow
for simulation of lower level commanders taking the initiative to fire
upon targets of opportunity. Realizing that we have not yet come to
this topic, I think that this problem would be better solved with a
revamping of the initiative system, not a revamping of the orders
system.

Seth Ben-Ezra