Re: [Epic] Slow

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:45:03 -0400

Tyler Provick wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that there are not as many posts as there usualy is?
> It's like the list is deserted or something.

        This is prime vacation season (at least it is in this
hemisphere). Also, people are moving around, going back to
school, etc. Traffic should pick up in a few weeks.

> First thing, hmmm. What is everybodies opinion about bike basing rules?
> Right now I've only got the boxed set, so the bikes I have add up to two
> units with 2 bikes left over.

        I'm still perplexed about this. I remember some e40k
promo material that loudly proclaimed, "Hey! Now you can use
everything in the box!" Since of course, in the old days you
would get really strange numbers of plastics that didn't come
to a full detachment and if you bought enough to make a full
det., you had a few leftovers. But you *can't* use
everything on the new sprues.

        Or maybe they just meant that you'd get enough stuff
to make full detachments, instead of only enough for 1/2 or
1/4 of a detachment. Which is a fairly silly claim
considering that detachments can now be as small as you want.
Ah, marketing.

        Even looking at the non-bike marine plastics, I
couldn't figure out what the heck I was supposed to do with
what came in the box set (not that it matters to me, I'll
probably take the bikes for my chaos army and let the rest
collect dust). As near as I can figure, a tac squad is: 9
marines with bolters + 1 marine with a heavy weapon. A dev
squad is: 5 marines w/bolters + 4 marines w/heavy weapons +
1 sergeant. Correct me if I'm wrong. But assuming I'm not
and looking at what they give you, it's only possible to put
together like 1 or 2 dev squads, 1 or 2 assault squads, and
a small handful of tac squads. How is anyone supposed to
get a decent sized force with that?!?

> Why, I
> remember me and my brother played a game of wh40k, with him using tape cases
> as bikes. (The ones with the big autocannons on the sides. Waaagh-tape
> cases!)

        Tape cases with autocannons on the side?

> So, really, if you were in a situation where you and a friend wanted to play
> a game using troops neither of you had, would you proxie because the game is
> supposed to be fun, not a show of who has the most disposable income? Or
> would you wait until you could purchase the models, paint them, and lose
> that one night you were all geared up to use them?

        Use proxies. As long as you can tell what
something is *supposed* to be, I don't see the problem.
Experimentation with your force is tough if you're always
playing WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

Scott
shupes_at_...