RE: [Epic] Slow

From: Matt Starling <mstarling_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 12:45:23 -0700

Regarding basing miniatures, I've always felt as long as one miniature is o=
n the stand, it works. I try to put the right number of miniatures on the=
 bases, but situations like this (not enough minis in the set to make a dec=
ent detachment), I've been pretty lenient. All of my minis are on the old =
square-style bases. The earlier version, Space Marine, had detachment card=
s that specified how many stands were in each detachment; but the mini spru=
es (Eldar in particular) never had enough minis to even fill out the number=
 of units you needed for even one detachment. So I put less than 5 infantr=
y (Aspect warriors in the Eldar example) on a stand, but tried for some sor=
t of consistency in the number on each base to make at least one detachment=
.

I Think it is easier playing the game when you can see what you have, le=
t alone what your opponent is fielding, and know what you see is what you g=
et. I have played before with proxies; usually when a new fig is introduce=
d in rules but not a mini on the market yet. But if it is taken to extreme=
, everyone gets confused about what they are facing (Oh, you mean that stan=
d of gretchin is really a BloodThirster?!) It is simply easier to only pla=
y with what you have just so you, and your opponent, know what is being fie=
lded.

If you want to use proxies, I would set up some ground rules in adva=
nce that your opponent can agree with. Some suggestions would be:

Only us=
e a proxy for 1, or maybe 2, different types of units.
Consistently use t=
he same item to represent what a proxy is. (all purple gretchin are bloodth=
irsters or all matchbox cars are rhinos)
Have the proxy units CLEARLY ident=
ified (toothpick on the stand or unique colour scheme).
Indicate before uni=
ts are placed on the board which units are proxy units and what they repres=
ent; If your opponent is not familiar with the stats and abilities of the r=
epresented unit, clarify the rules. When units are revealed during play, r=
e-iterate which are proxies.