Re: [Epic] Slow

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 12:52:56 -0700

        <snip people on vacation>

>> > First thing, hmmm. What is everybodies opinion about bike basing rules?
>> > Right now I've only got the boxed set, so the bikes I have add up to two
>> > units with 2 bikes left over.
        <snip square vs rectangle bases>

  But I still assumed I'd use
>2 bikes per base. I suppose I'm still leaning that way, but the
>stats they're given are supposed to be more believable if they
>represent 3 bikes. However, I think they'd look much cooler as
>individual models. Seeing those Eldar Jetbikes crossing the terrain
>in an irregular pattern would look really neat, I think. I wouldn't
>necessarily use a lot more bikes than I would stands of bikes
>(probably a little more, since I'd have more available), so it
>shouldn't be more fussy than using stands. But now the stats for
>3 bikes are being represented by a single one. Plus, we've talked
>about differences in how you can pack models in cover or fit them
>under a barrage marker. So I probably won't do this, but I'd like
>to. (I could use little pieces of thread to connect 3 together, and
>thus have them near each other but in a neat pattern. But they
>would definitely be fussier to move.
>
>andy
>askinner_at_...

        Thread? MUCH fussier to move, I shudder to think of it...

        I'm still not convinced about the "can't use one model" argument. Yes, I
suppose you could end up packing them together more to benefit from cover,
and yes, one model is much cheesier for a unit than two or three to a base.

        But, there are also financial considerations. As far as I know, the only
way to currently get bikes is if you are purchasing an infantry sprue of
whatever race you're playing, which is very close to blackmail if you ask
me. (I know, you didn't...)
        Also, you can get around the clustering for cover effect with a simple
minimum distance rule, and even if they are clustered that just makes them
more vulnerable to template weapons which ignore cover anyway.
        As long as you're paying the full points for the same effect, do whatever
you and your opponent agree to. If there are conflicting views amongst your
opponents, you can temporarily stick them to bases with silly putty, or
whatever non-permanently-sticky substance is available in your area. (Do
you Commonwealthers have silly putty, or is it just a southern California
thing?)

        We also have silly laws and politicians, but I don't have to ask if you
have those... :)

Nickles