Re: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:31:10 -0400

Miller, Chris wrote:

> >Well, it's kind of a legacy from Epic(2nd). Orcs could buy Land
> >Raiders
> >cheaper than the Imperium! But, they could only buy them as
> >detachment
> >cards, not company cards. So, one mob could have 15 Land Raiders as
> >detachments. Not something you want to see on first fire!
>
> ------> Yep, if you're playing SM/TL there's a way to do it, but for
> E40K
> I'm afraid I'd have to be the nazi and say "Nein." Sure, you can use
> 'em
> as
> battlewagons - I have absolutely no problem with that and think it's
> very
> orky. I even like the battlefortress idea. But they should be modified
> look more orky (spare turrets and such) and use orky stats or you're
> just trying to slide in some LR's any way you can. How about some
> Eldar jetbikes, too? Perhaps an IG artillery unit?

        Well, for starters, there's support for it in the
background (Blood Axes buy equipment from the Imperium). But
it's also important to consider the reasons behind wanting the
Land Raiders - ie is it just a way to sneak in AT shots, or is
it something more related to the character of the army? I
don't see anything wrong with allowing a player who loves Blood
Axes to take LRs at 70 points a pop. If the player is willing
to pay that much for a LR then he's probably not doing it just
for the AT shots anyway.

> To me, you play your army or you don't, and when you start
> trying to justify adding on the key/signature units from other armies,
> you start to muddy it up. If the IG can't take LR's, then the orks
> certainly
> shouldn't be able to.

        The IG can take LRs - just add a SM armor detachment
to the army. You get a SR boost out of it, too. The Imps
seem to be one big army as far as GW is concerned.

> I've seen this slippery slope start before. Even if you try to
> control
> it thru points cost, you'll get some weirdness: Suppose orks pay
> double
> for land raiders. Fine. Then a marine player wants some Eldar vehicles
> at double points. Then the IG wants land raiders. It continues...

        There's no precedent for SMs having eldar vehicles,
but OTOH if you want to experiment with that kind of stuff go
right ahead (or you could just use them as Epic versions of
the old Imperial jetbikes) And as mentioned above, IG can
easily get LRs if it wants.

> To wrap - use whatever mini's and conversions you want, but
> don't
> obsess on trying to actually get the units from another army. You want
> them,
> build another army. No army list out there now is bad - try using it
> for
> a while.

        If this is the real reason for wanting LRs, then I'd
say sure, for double the points. If he then says he doesn't
want them at that price, then you have a good idea at what his
intentions were for wanting them in the first place.

Scott
shupes_at_...