RE: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 21:35:36 -0400

> Another interesting option, which I first saw in the WD which had that
>huge tank battle (sure, you remember...), is to have allied commanders
>leave the room and record short messages (5-10 seconds) into a hand held
>tape recorder. These recordings then become the sole mode of communication
>between the allies, and encourages military style coding to confuse the
>enemy who is sitting across the table from you.
>
> This idea was originally for 40K, so might need modification. I would
>suggest allowing players to do this at the beginning of each phase, as the
>time compression between the two games is vastly different. This will slow
>actual game play down, but might prove interesting enough to make up for it.
>
> YMMV (Geez, I love that abbreviation now that I know what it means...)

Hmm, nice idea, if you happen to have a bunch of micro tape recorders handy.
Me, I'd rather spend the money on Epic, but if I could afford it, I would
(All my friends would shun me for being a geek) Actually, come to think of
it, with my friend starting College he was given a micro recorder for a
graduation present. Hmmm. But still, other people may have no way of using
this neat idea.

However, a dry erase message board would work in somewhat the same manner,
except you write the message, you don't speak it.

Of course this idea makes sense with either a very agressive ally (Who will
tell you exactly where to put every miniature, you basically move them
yourself) or with a huge fight with two Supreme Commanders, one each side.
He (or she, don't get PC on me) orders his generals, but cannot touch the
board. Basically he sits back and yells orders.

I'll illustrate a set-up, as part of my dream house that I made up last night.

Both generals sit on chairs at a higher level then the players. Basically,
in my dream house I have a conversation pit in the middle of my library that
is big enough to hold a 6x8 table. Anyway, they sit side by side, and they
do all the rolling. Sergeants work out the General's orders and move the
miniatures, aiming for range and stuff. (For those that are wondering, the
table is stowed and a 4 couches are moved into the center. I don't know how,
but they will. Or maybe the whole pit is big enough for tables and couches.)

The same thing can be done in smaller homes, but I doubt it would work,
because of the size of the table needed for such a huge game.

Of course, you can rent a gym and setup there. Most Gyms and halls have
folding tables you can use. I don't know about the cost for those.

On the subject of space. In the summer (And even the winter if you buy some
space heaters) the garage(or Car Port) can fit a fairly large table. As long
as you actually keep (Or can keep) your car inside. Sitting on the laneway
(or driveway) or in the lane (or street) your car will vacate enough area to
play. I think I will find myself a collapseable table, and ask if I can
borrow my neighbours garage. (Mine is far to messy)

Tyler
Brain Drizzelin'