Re: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Matthew J. Silvernail <msilver_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 22:11:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Sutherland <charles_at_...> writes:
> > P.S. Anyone got any good ideas for converting battlewagons or stompas? I
> > got a snotload of those also.
>
> I'd like to hear this as well. The only thoughts I have so
> far are the Wierdboy battlewagon (make someplace for him to stand, the
> mega-gargant scaffolding sprues shown in WD211 work better than any
> idea I has come up with until that point, and then glue him on top),
> and a Flakwagon... I was going to find 3 cylinders usable as turrets,
> and find a way to attach them, nothing really complicated. Affix them
> at the crazy angle that Firestorms and Thunderfire batteries are at,
> and it should be easily recognizable. Maybe those coffee stirrer
> things, but I'll have to see how it looks primed and painted before
> making a decision.

I figure the Wierdboy upgrade to become a battlewagon idea has to be so
people can use their old Wierdboyz Towers. Alas, I have none myself,
but I'm thinking it should be fairly easy to make them by using the
"round shack with a gun" Mega Gargant or BW turrets, glued on top of
some kind of tube to give it some height. I have yet to find a cylinder
the right size to test this wild theory though.

> I was also using a disturbing number of battlewagon parts to
> convert Land Raiders into Battlefortresses, as $10 a fortress (or
> whatever) is a bit too spendy for me.

Agreed - so far I've made 2 BF's out of LR and other parts. One is a limo
conversion... chunks of 3 LR's glued end-to-end so it looks like one big
long motha LR. The other chops a LR down the middle and basicly glues a
Whirlwind body (sans tracks) in the middle, making a very wide LR with
some spiky bitz. Luckily, spare Mega Gargant deck gunz fit into the
Whirlwind weapon mount. :)

> I'm just trying to figure out how to model a cult of speed
> with only the models from 1 set each of Space Marine and TL, and 2 of
> E40k. (More TL stuff is probably available to me cheap, eh?) I see
> no way to get any bikes together, or warbuggies. And I'm not about to
> shell out $2 for each little vehicle. So what goes fast and can be
> modelled using plastic? Anything? I can't see the Orks cannibalizing
> Eldar Jetbikes to use as Wartraks, as the technology is just too
> different for my tastes. And Eldar is the only force I have lots of.

Let's see, 1 SM + 2 E40K... Hmm. You should have the 18 battlewagons
from the SM box, no? Since you'll have plenty of BW's from the 2
E40K boxes, use the older, smaller SM battlewagons as buggies. Really,
they actually don't look much diff't than the official buggies, just
a little bigger (and don't cost $2 apiece). If you really want to
go nuts and make the SM BW's look more like buggies, try cutting
the round 'smoke stack' thing on the left side down almost all the way
flush, with a little bit sticking up on the front to look like a
windscreen. Then glue the cut-off upper half of an ork boy behind it.
   As far as bikes go, put 'em on old square bases, and only use 1 or 2
per base, as a unit. Assuming your opponents are kosher with this,
of course. Each E40K box has IIRC 9 individual bike figures, so 1 per
base should give you 18 'stands' of bikes. If you "short-base" your
bikes, make sure the gluing is reversible so you can rebase more properly
at a later date if you win the lottery.

> Mark

Best of luck,

   -- Matt Silvernail