Re: [Epic] Dune Epic 40K units

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:07:26 -0400 (EDT)

Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...> writes:
> At 11:46 AM 8/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
> > I thought they used derelict hulks to travel. They wait for
> >one to swing by, and then jump on and go where it takes them. But
> >then again, they are supposed to have a force in the works for Space
> >Fleet somewhere.
> >

> Read GorkaMorka fluff in WD 212

        Ah. If they're changed the history from under me, then I
guess I'm out of luck. But I recall them wandering around in derelict
hulks sometimes. I have no idea what the latest version of the
history says they do, as WD212 is generally regarded as the worst
issue to date from the sources I've seen.

> >> And the Vortex missile should still hurt -<slurrrrrrp> especially the
> >> SM/TL
> >> version where anything withou void shields was sucked into the warp -
> >> no damage numbers, just gone.
> >
> > Huh? I thought you rolled damage as normal. You just didn't
> >get your armor save. (Which means that anything smaller than a Scout
> >Titan got sucked in, but larger units could live)
> >

> Any unit under the template is destroyed. War engines are different.

        Right. And I'd like to think that a sandworm is big enough to
qualify as a war engine. They're the only things with damage rolls or
damage numbers? (aren't these the same thing?) in the first place. I
got the impression that you said they ignored damage rolls.

> > Sure. All the weapons in Epic scale are pretty small to hurt
> >a worm. Some of the Space Fleet weapons could probably hurt it just
> >fine. It's a simple matter of scale, sort of like putting down a
> >crewed Imperator in the middle of a WH40k battle. Most forces would
> >also have no problems setting up a lasgun to shoot at a shield. (Blow
> >them up? Lose a trooper? Sure.)
>
> No sane person would activate a shield on a planet with worms. That is
> instant suicide.

        Sure, that's why you send out a robot with a lasgun/lascannon
instead. Lasguns aren't outlawed by the Imperium, after all. Or send
out someone who made his morale check. Or a Marine. They're good at
the suicide thing. Or try to give some Snotlings Laspistols set on a
timer and send them through a SAG. I'm sure the Eldar would sacrifice
a flight of Nightwings to get an atomic-scale explosion. etc... I
guess the Tyranids are SOL. I can't remember them having any lasguns.

> As for Space Fleet weapons, no, if they are heat based,
> they will do no damage.

        I'm sure they're not all heat based. But the point is that I
feel most Epic scale weapons are too small to take out sandworms.
It's why I brought up Space Fleet at all.

> As for the explosion resulting from contact of a lasgun beam and a shield,
> the resulting explosion rivals that of Atomics, which is Dune Slang for
> Nuclear Weapons.

        This doesn't take out sandworms?

> Again, you want to kill a worm, piss on it. (Well, you need
> more water then that. A couple of waterbomber attacks would do the trick)

        Okay, I concede that this is far easier than setting off an
atomic or lasgun/shield.

Mark