Re: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:12:16 -0400

<snip>
> >AT shots are nothing compared to those daft Eldar things, Distort
> >cannons. They're worse than Death rays! 3+ to hit a Warlord or Reaver
> >Titan, bypasses shields, automatically causes critical damage!
> >
> And I need to buy a war engine of 110 pts+ to get one. You get 2 AT
shots
> for less than 30 points. hmmm... seems fair enuff to me.
>
> That Chuk Guy
35, I think. I'm not sure what all the carping about Land Raiders is about;
support weapons are available to everybody except Orks and 'Nids, they give
you Anti-tank shots for 13-15 points each, and they have the advantage of
being infantry (transports, cover, etc.)

The Land Raider is definitely a nice tank, but one should bear in mind its
distressing lack of speed, and its vulnerability to anti-tank shots and
close assault. It's got a lot of firepower in a small, hard package, but
every Land Raider destroyed is a big blow for the detachment's firepower.

I tend to stick to the published lists, mostly, and I am a bit suspicious
of Orks acquiring such powerful tanks, which fill a gap that seems to have
been quite deliberately created in the Ork lists. Blood Axes could hijack
Predators, Vindicators, and Rhinos at least as easily as LR's, but I
haven't heard about any concerted efforts to introduce them into the Ork
battleforce.

I would, if my opponent had converted a few LR's for use by his Ork force
(a FEW, mind you) probably have no problem with it, but I might ask him to
replace the two AT shots with 5 fp, or something like that. I think that
asking the guy to pay double cost for the tanks is ridiculous; I could see
10 extra points, maybe, but not 35.

Eugene