Re: [Epic] Battle Report

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:27:56 -0400

> Oh, and bikes suck. I'm going to buy enough bike to legally fill out my
> Recon detachment. But still, 15 cm range, 2 assault, 1 firepower. The
only
> thing I can see them being really good for is taking out Titans that
don't
> have many "All round" fire archs. 35 cm movement should be able to get
> behing anything. I guess I'll have to take a look at EoV's. If they're
like
> the Baneblade, war engines but no 360 fire archs, then they would be good
> for getting them. Also, for artillery or fire support units, attacking
from
> the back.

I've said it before, but I can't resist saying it again; assault bikes are
the way to go. They have serious firepower, good range, and are dirt cheap.
They are like wussy Predators, but for 17 points less.

Bikes don't really suck, they just have to be used differently than Tanks
or Infantry. When I have to move first, I zoom right up to the enemy
assault detachments and spread out as much as possible. The opponent then,
quite literally cannot advance in the movement phase; he's stuck there
until he kills the bikes (which happens in the fire phase. For a hundred
points or less, the entire enemy force (or a lot of it) can be held
motionless (in the forward direction) for a turn.
If I move second I hide the guys behind buildings or something, and wait
'til the assault phase, whereupon I jump at a threatening detachment and
firefight it, or help out in a close assault, or whatever. Bikes are also
useful for gaining morale by jumping on objectives. They also can make
excellent cannon fodder (of course).

> It's a shame they don't have flanking rules, since everyone is arranged
in
> nice lines for you anyways.
>
> Tyler

Well, flanking can be nice, because it often leads to some of the
retreating enemy units being caught and killed as they retreat

Eugene