Re: [Epic] Dune Epic 40K units

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:57:09 -0400

> Ah. If they're changed the history from under me, then I
>guess I'm out of luck. But I recall them wandering around in derelict
>hulks sometimes. I have no idea what the latest version of the
>history says they do, as WD212 is generally regarded as the worst
>issue to date from the sources I've seen.

They're just cranky about the new editor. He changed the layout, but he
still hasn't done anything for the spelling and grammar mistakes to be found
throughout the issue.

>> > Huh? I thought you rolled damage as normal. You just didn't
>> >get your armor save. (Which means that anything smaller than a Scout
>> >Titan got sucked in, but larger units could live)
>> >

>> Any unit under the template is destroyed. War engines are different.
>
> Right. And I'd like to think that a sandworm is big enough to
>qualify as a war engine. They're the only things with damage rolls or
>damage numbers? (aren't these the same thing?) in the first place. I
>got the impression that you said they ignored damage rolls.
>
>> > Sure. All the weapons in Epic scale are pretty small to hurt
>> >a worm. Some of the Space Fleet weapons could probably hurt it just
>> >fine. It's a simple matter of scale, sort of like putting down a
>> >crewed Imperator in the middle of a WH40k battle. Most forces would
>> >also have no problems setting up a lasgun to shoot at a shield. (Blow
>> >them up? Lose a trooper? Sure.)
>>
>> No sane person would activate a shield on a planet with worms. That is
>> instant suicide.
>
> Sure, that's why you send out a robot with a lasgun/lascannon
>instead. Lasguns aren't outlawed by the Imperium, after all. Or send
>out someone who made his morale check. Or a Marine. They're good at
>the suicide thing. Or try to give some Snotlings Laspistols set on a
>timer and send them through a SAG. I'm sure the Eldar would sacrifice
>a flight of Nightwings to get an atomic-scale explosion. etc... I
>guess the Tyranids are SOL. I can't remember them having any lasguns.

It's not the lasgun that is a problem, Leto II got hit several times with a
lasgun, and it didn't bother him at all. He wasn't even fully a worm yet. A
shield drives the worm crazy, and it attacks everything, starting from where
the shield is. Fremen, who can walk in the open desert without fear of the
worm (Actually, the Fremen always fear the coming of Shaitan, and praise the
presence of Shai-Hulud) will never activate a shield.

>> As for the explosion resulting from contact of a lasgun beam and a shield,
>> the resulting explosion rivals that of Atomics, which is Dune Slang for
>> Nuclear Weapons.
>
> This doesn't take out sandworms?

Radiation is sorta like heat. (Loosly, and not altogether correct, but) so
no, I don't think so. Even if it did, it would also take everyone else on
the battle field out as well. Kinda stupid when all you need are waterbombers.