Re: [Epic] Dune Epic 40K units

From: Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:29:18 -0400 (EDT)

[lots 'o snipping]
On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Tyler Provick wrote:

> At 10:22 PM 8/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Sauron1 writes; I must admit first to only reading the first novel. But the
>
> Other things not in the movie or books.
>
> Waning Moduals(Not spelt right) where the heck did they come from.

Wierding Modules. They were a "glitter" perversion of the wierding way, a
martial art form. I guess hollywood wanted some superweapons. And in
truth, it would be very difficult to accurately represent the fighting
abilities described (ascribed? Whatever) to several characters in the
books. Bruce Lee would have been put to shame.

> Jamis and his wife, In the book, the first man Paul kills. He gain
> "possesion" of the wife, and retains here throughout the series as a nanny
> for his children.
> The Baron is a child molester. Too nasty for the movie (Though he drinks
> blood in the movie)
> The Baron is so overweight that he needs his suspensors to walk, but he
> cannot float, it merely keeps the weight off his legs.
> The Baron is the father of Jessica, which makes him Paul's Grandfather. I
> don't think they show this in the movie.

I think (not sure) that Paul's little sister (forgot name), when she
stabbed the Baron, said something like "And how do you like my Gom Jabbar,
Grandfather". Of course, I could be confusing the book and the movie.
My basic opinion was that the movie could only be enjoyed by someone who
had read the books. And that someone who read the books would be upset by
the liberties taken by the movie.

> Tyler

--Ken Taborek oberon_at_...
"Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change."- random fortune