Re: [Epic] Ork Army for critique

From: John Richards <server_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:39:40 -0500

"Eugene E.W." <eug_at_...> wrote:

>> 3 Battle Fortresses 255 pts
>>
>> (Probably fielded as 3 detachments, as I expect to fight Land Raiders,
>and
>> the only advantage to 1 detachment I could see is the distribution of
>hits
>> from FP, which SHW don't care about. With 3 detachments, blast markers
>> affect each Fortress individually, so slowing them down by making them
>> fail leadership tests is harder).
>
>Fielding them as one detachment allows you to fire them all at once in the
>War Engine Fire Phase, and believe me, this is a big advantage.(E.G.-Ork
>player fires BF#1, Imp player fires Warlord titan, destroys BF#2 and BF#3.
>Ork player drips tears into his beer.)

Good point - I haven't fought against too many war engines yet, so I forgot
about this effect. You're right - I'd much rather get the shots off early.

>> 2 Kults of Speed - Waargh 267 pts x 2 534 pts
>> Warboss as battlewagon, Weirdboy as battlewagon, 6 battlewagons, 8 Nobz
>>
>> (To run around the field carrying the nobz until they can assault
>> something. The detachments can shoot, too, but not as well as they can
>> assault)
>>
>Do you really have sixteen Nobz? Cool! Nobz and Termies are infantry you
>can never have enough of in E40k. I have to mention that it seems a bit
>odd, background-wise, that you have more Nobz stands than boyz stands. Any
>Ork army without a few stands of boyz has a bit of explaining to do.

I do think Nobz are one of the best things Orks have going, so I based mine
with a mix of Nobz and old, first edition Orks to get more stands. It also
gives me more room to get a paintbrush in.

For color, though, you're right - there should be some boyz running around.
When I had more of the army on foot, I had Gretchin and Boyz all over the
place. Quantity is good.

Our first few battles, though, were meeting engagements down an 4' by 8'
table the long way, though, and foot troops were too slow. It probably
explains why I like fast units better. There's no cheap transport for
Orks, though, and I feel silly carrying a Gretchin stand around in a luxury
Battlewagon. They don't deserve such comfort.

>> 1 Kult of Speed - Fasta 173 pts
>> Warboss on Bike, 6 Bikeboyz, 5 Speed Freeks
>>
>> (To take out soft targets like Whirlwinds, artillery. At least that's
>the
>> intent. Usually they die like dogs instead. Gotta work on that)
>Ummm... I find that bike units are mostly useful nowadays for: a) getting
>in the way of the enemy, and b)soaking up firepower. I tend to make my KOS
>small, unless I'm using them to field Mekboy speedstas (which I highly
>recommend).

Speedstas are great, but so far I only fielded one or two, and they get
picked off first. I'll try them again, though. Can't resist. Maybe I
need more. (Of course, I say that about all my units. Store owners love
me)

Thanks for the comments - there's a lot here (in the parts I cut, too) to
think about. It's nice to see that you have found uses for most of the
units. As you said, many of the units I haven't been using would work well
in defensive battles, and most of our battles haven't been defensive.
We'll get there eventually.

Best of luck, and may your squiggoths always stand downwind.

John
richards_at_...