Re: [Epic] Ork Army for critique

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:58:32 -0400

<snip>

> Warlord in Great Gargant 480 pts
>
> (Actually a plastic Mega-Gargant from Titan Legions, but I think 2000 pts
> is too small an army for a Mega)

Could be. I've seen it done, though, and afterwards, the Ork player decided
he really should have taken two! I'm not sure I agree...

> 3 Battle Fortresses 255 pts
>
> (Probably fielded as 3 detachments, as I expect to fight Land Raiders,
and
> the only advantage to 1 detachment I could see is the distribution of
hits
> from FP, which SHW don't care about. With 3 detachments, blast markers
> affect each Fortress individually, so slowing them down by making them
> fail leadership tests is harder).

Fielding them as one detachment allows you to fire them all at once in the
War Engine Fire Phase, and believe me, this is a big advantage.(E.G.-Ork
player fires BF#1, Imp player fires Warlord titan, destroys BF#2 and BF#3.
Ork player drips tears into his beer.)

> Boys Bunch 206 pts
> 1 Warboss, 4 Shooty Boyz, 4 Big Gunz, 3 Pulsa Rokkits
>
> (To be carried around by the Battle Fortresses until within range,
> preferably behind cover but anywhere will do)

A clever way of mobilizing an Ork artillery detachment.

> 2 Kults of Speed - Waargh 267 pts x 2 534 pts
> Warboss as battlewagon, Weirdboy as battlewagon, 6 battlewagons, 8 Nobz
>
> (To run around the field carrying the nobz until they can assault
> something. The detachments can shoot, too, but not as well as they can
> assault)

Do you really have sixteen Nobz? Cool! Nobz and Termies are infantry you
can never have enough of in E40k. I have to mention that it seems a bit
odd, background-wise, that you have more Nobz stands than boyz stands. Any
Ork army without a few stands of boyz has a bit of explaining to do.

> 1 Kult of Speed - Fasta 173 pts
> Warboss on Bike, 6 Bikeboyz, 5 Speed Freeks
>
> (To take out soft targets like Whirlwinds, artillery. At least that's
the
> intent. Usually they die like dogs instead. Gotta work on that)
Ummm... I find that bike units are mostly useful nowadays for: a) getting
in the way of the enemy, and b)soaking up firepower. I tend to make my KOS
small, unless I'm using them to field Mekboy speedstas (which I highly
recommend).

> 2 Flyboyz Mobz 175 pts x 2 350 pts
> 5 Fighta-Bommerz in each
>
> (Split up, so if 1 detachment is ground attacking, the other can
> intercept. I haven't tried fliers yet, though)

That's quite a lot of flyers for 2000 points. I would probably field one
detachment of six, or eight (because it's more efficient in terms of
Morale). Fighta-Bommerz are okay at ground assault, but not really
exceptional.

> So what am I forgetting? What holes are in this army?
>
> I have more figs, but haven't found a use for all of them yet.
>
> Like Dreadnoughts - I have some old ones, but can't imaging fielding them
> instead of Battlewagons, since for almost the same price the Battlewagons
> move 25cm instead of 15cm, for the loss of 1 assault, which the
> Dreadnought has a hard time using because it's so darn slow. I suppose
if
> I was facing armies which would assault me, they might see some action,
> but I'd hate to have Dreadnoughts with 3 assault as my front line against
> Tyranids or Chaos.

Well, if you were fielding any foot-sloggin boyz, they would fit in fine,
but to be honest, I have so many battlewagons I never use any footsloggers,
either. It's sooo much easier to get to grips with the enemy when you have
the assisstance of an internal combustion engine. I don't field
dreadnoughts, either, but that's because the only detachments I have slower
than 25cm move are War Engines...

To a certain extent, it depends on the scenario you're playing. Admittedly,
a lot of the time, you need to get places quickly, but sometimes you just
have to sit still and defend. Dreadnoughts are better at that than
Battlewagons are.

> Stompas and Mekboy Speedstas also look cool, but against an army with
lots
> of AT shots (Land Raiders again) anything expensive is an automatic
> target. Plus for FP, I'd rather have 2 Big Gunz than the Stompa. The
> Gunz take two hits to kill, have the Artillery skill and can be carried
on
> a Battle Fortress or Battlewagon. Like the Dreadnought a 15cm move for
> the Stompa seems too slow to be able to use the 4 Assault value. I'd
love
> to be able to use a Lifta-Droppa against a Land Raider (sensing a theme
> here?) or two but with a 30cm range, the Mekboy will probably eat a
> Lascannon blast first.

I like Stompas and Speedstas, but then I don't think my opponents are as
fond of Land Raiders as yours seem to be. It's usually not too difficult to
avoid the 15cm's of range where he can hit you but you can't hit back, and
you might even get to fire before him.

> Squiggoths look cute, but I'm not sure how they work. If 3 Squiggoths
are
> in one close combat, do you roll once or three times to find their
Assault
> value? Is it 1D6*3 or 1D6+1D6+1D6? I suspect the second, but it could go
> either way. Also, they'd slow down any of the detachments I could add
them
> to, and I don't want them arriving last at the assault. Bad manners,
> don't you know.

Again, mounting everyone in Battlewagons makes Squiggoths less useful, but
they're excellent units (better than Dreadnoughts, IMHO).

> I'll just end by saying that I believe in small detachments, speed, and
> quantity. I believe in explosions and the colors green and red. I
> believe in an Ork's right to a good Fungus beer, and his right to bat
> around some poor Gretchin until he gets it.

I believe you've got the right ideas...

Regards, Eugene