RE: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:30:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Tyler Provick wrote:

> >> Flavour in Wargames is mostly up to the players. Some backgrounds make it
> >> easier to add flavour, while some make it hard. Either way there will be
> >> people who will play without flavour on say a flavourful game like Old Epic,
> >> and some might have more flavour with Epic 40K, because that's the way they
> >> play. I still don't see the connection between powerfull troops, and lots of
> >> different ones and flavour

yes, but for beginning players, E40k is >very< thin on fluff. the point
i was trying to make it was easier for newbies to get a good "feel"
for the 40k universe from SM/TL than E40k
you don't need powerful units for flavor. i hate abstract units.

if i wanted total abstracts, i'd be playing chess, not 40k

> You can't add flavour? I wrote a full description for a renegade Space
> Marine chapter, but didn't change the rules. You can have any type of thing
> in your ork army, and call it a battle wagon, but because it has the same
> stats, it has less flavour?

huh?

It was GW job to put a good background into the books, not the player

why not just have 7 different units for ALL armies then?
all with the same value, and points cost

troops
fast troops
light vehicle
light tanks
heavy tanks
guns
super heavy vehicle

sorry, thats playing like DBM, which is very good for games with hundred
of minis. a game of E40k does not have enough units in play to require
such simplified units,unless you are fighting 20-30k point games

When i play a GW game, I expect cool minis and goofy rules, with the best
imagery for gaming in the distant dark future.

i don't want cheezy units.... waht was wrong with having 2 units
for ork battlewagon? one better at shooting, the other better at assault?

it beats explaining to newbies that "no, that's a spleenrippa. it has the
same stats as the BW with the claws, or the one with the little roller
 in front"

why make differnt looking units if they all act the same?

don't you think GW was a little skimpy with the ork list?

> Complicated rules are not the keys to flavour (Try paprika)

agree, the special rules for SM got out of hand. Making all the
different races follow the same rules was all that SM/TL needed
for a fix(and getting rid of army cards).

if i want a simple game with few units, i will play

rock
scissors
paper

> Tyler