Re: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:30:01 -0400

<snip>
> > says me:
> >
> >Don't you have problems with blast markers? Each one removes an AT shot
> >(its official, WD 211 IIRC), which isn't very good. I usually toss a
couple
> >of Preds or Whirlwinds into the armour detachment, both as a casualty
> >screen and to absorb blast markers.
> >

> Good idea... I generally find, though, that if the LRs are swamped by
> blast markers, they're in the kak anyway. I'll have to try the Predator
> idea, though... or, how about dreadnoughts? Both troop types are slow
> moving, after all.
>
> <emblem of Slaanesh>
>
> 'Mad Dog' McAlister
<snip>
Yeah, five or six blast markers are usually a fair indication that all is
not well with the world...
It's real nice, though, that having a couple of lousy blast markers on your
detachment doesn't cost you any AT shots.

The advantage to supporting your LR's with a unit faster than a LR (such as
a Predator), rather than a unit slower than a LR (such as a Dreadnought) is
that fast units will end up in front of the LR's and will thus soak up the
first few hits. Slow units will be hard-pressed to perform this vital
function. In addition, it's a bit less frustrating to have some fast units
in with the LR's because even if the LR's don't make it into range, the
Predators and Whirlwinds probably will.

The Whirlwinds are also a nice addition because they render the detachment
a bit less vulnerable to overwatch fire, and they deal very well with
infantry (something Land Raiders aren't espescially good at).

Eugene