Re: [Epic] web site

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:23:22 -0700

At 09:04 AM 8/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Oooh, I got a web site!
>
>OK, it isn't very interesting, but it does have some pictures of
>my minis. I think I know why I was pretty happy with my mini
>painting--they're Space Marines. GW's SM minis look good, but
>they don't look unbelievably amazing, and I've accomplished most
>of what I want to in that direction.
>
>But I'm working on some Eldar for the competition, and they
>just aren't looking very inspiring. Yellow is the main color,
>and right now they're looking OK if you compare them to the
>Space Marines. I'm paining them similarly--yellow coat, brown
>wash, some details. But I've been painting about as many details
>as I have on the Space Marines, and the GW Eldar pictures have
>_lots_ more detail. There ships just glow, but after the brown
>wash dirtied up my minis (though it did bring out detail), I
>am not having much success with yellow drybrushing to brighten
>them up again. GW's minis just glow. Of course, I do not
>want to spend enough time on these to make 'em look like GW's
>minis, but the difference is obvious.
        <snip>

        One way to paint yellow (although this will be too late for you, it seems)
is to mix just a little bit of red to the yellow you intend to use for the
base coat; this gives the yellow a little depth. Wash/shade as usual. Then,
mix a little white (it's not too late to do this) with the yellow to do the
highlights. Also, when comparing your minis to GWs, remember that these
guys are PROFESSIONALS, which means two things: 1) They have beaten other,
very talented people to get the job in the first place. 2) This is their
job; all they have to do to pay rent and put food on the table and stout in
the cooler is sit around and paint ALL DAY LONG (unlike the rest of us, who
have to paint when our eyes are bleary from the day's labors).

        <snip>

>I painted the swooping hawks' wings white, put on a brown wash,
>and highlighted in white again. They did brighten up some, but
>the exarchs' wings still look a little dingy.

        <snip>

        Try using a blue or gray wash next time. My favorite is blue; it gives the
white a very clean look after highlighting.

        <snip>

>The banshees didn't do me any good. I think they'll get painted
>the same color as everybody else. Does E40K even hint at what
>official aspect colors should be?
>
>anyway, my page is: www.avs.com/people/askinner
>
>andy
>askinner_at_...

        As to Guardian colors: I like to make my own Chapter or Craftworld color
schemes; something about copying GW seems too easy somehow. The trouble
with Craftworlds is that the Aspect warriors have already staked out most
of the standard color combinations, so finding a new scheme can be tricky.
Were I playing E40K Eldar, I would probably go with Ulthwe' as a default
just 'cause they're black with yellow helmets; mucho easy to do.

Nickles