Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 15:37:33 -0500

> > It was theoretically possible to field more than 100 terminators in
> > SM/TL, by fielding a company plus lots of support cards. The cards
> > didn't limit the number of termies that could be fielded. The limit
> > arose more from the cost of fielding the minis and the fact that
> > terminators were of limited usefullness.
>
> I thought that SM/TL had a specific limitation on how many
> Veterans and Termies could be fielded by one Chapter. They placed no
> restrictions on the number of chapters that could participate in a
> battle, so it wasn't a big deal except for one-chapter purists. :(
> Must go bug Aaron and his library.

There was no such limitation in SM/TL. There were even such statements
in the rules such as "the number of cards in the box should not place
any limit on the number of one unit that you can field." There wasn't
even any difference between the Dark Angel terminator companies and the
ones that every other Chapter could field. (Except that your conscience
maybe felt a little better after cheesing out with terminators if you
painted them all green.)

There wasn't even a restriction on mixing chapters together. Examples
in the Armies of the Imperium showed an Ultramarine Infantry company
taking Blood Claws support cards.

I didn't like the artificially constrained feeling I got with using the
cards; but it did make picking out an army quick. Of course, you are
supposed to get the same effect now by designing your own detatchment
cards and just using different mixtures of those cards in every game.
(Is there anyone out there who *doesn't* start from scracth building
your army in every game of E40K?)

My biggest problem with the army cards in the last days of SM/TL was
the effect of "bracket creep" in all the new units that were released.
Each new unit had better armor save modifiers until it was really just
as easy to kill a LR with a save of 2+ as it was to kill an infantryman
with no save. Since LR's came in companies no bigger than 10, it was
thus just 5 easy kills to get the victory points out of the company.
I always thought tanks should be harder targets.

Tanks are a little harder to kill in E40K, but not by much. Those damn
re-rolls are really beginning to bother me. (Especially when all six
of those Overlord Airships start with 8 FP anyway.) I'm really beginning
to think that only infantry on overwatch should get to reroll misses.
I definitely suspect that those airships should be WE's.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.