Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 18:58:43 -0400

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> > I thought that SM/TL had a specific limitation on how many
> > Veterans and Termies could be fielded by one Chapter. They placed no
> > restrictions on the number of chapters that could participate in a
> > battle, so it wasn't a big deal except for one-chapter purists. :(
> > Must go bug Aaron and his library.
>
> There was no such limitation in SM/TL.

        There was a WD article that gave such limitations,
but they weren't ironclad rules. Looking at the WD Index
site, I can't pinpoint the issue, but I'll try and dredge
up the article next time I have access to them.

> There were even such statements
> in the rules such as "the number of cards in the box should not place
> any limit on the number of one unit that you can field." There wasn't
> even any difference between the Dark Angel terminator companies and the
> ones that every other Chapter could field.

        Except that the DAs could only field the Deathwing
termie company & could not use the veteran company card.

> There wasn't even a restriction on mixing chapters together. Examples
> in the Armies of the Imperium showed an Ultramarine Infantry company
> taking Blood Claws support cards.

        I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that. Sure you
could have bunches of chapters in the same army, but you
can't take Space Wolf support cards for a UM company.

> I didn't like the artificially constrained feeling I got with using the
> cards; but it did make picking out an army quick. Of course, you are
> supposed to get the same effect now by designing your own detatchment
> cards and just using different mixtures of those cards in every game.
> (Is there anyone out there who *doesn't* start from scracth building
> your army in every game of E40K?)

        I've got a few detachments that I use over and
over, possibly adding or subtracting a few units for
specific battles depending on the points & what else I'm
fielding.

> My biggest problem with the army cards in the last days of SM/TL was
> the effect of "bracket creep" in all the new units that were released.
> Each new unit had better armor save modifiers until it was really just
> as easy to kill a LR with a save of 2+ as it was to kill an infantryman
> with no save.

        Love them nids & ordinanti...

> Since LR's came in companies no bigger than 10, it was
> thus just 5 easy kills to get the victory points out of the company.
> I always thought tanks should be harder targets.

        But how is that a problem with the army cards?
It was GW's standard "creeping cheese" factor - each
new unit is more powerful than its predecessors.

Scott, defender of the army cards
shupes_at_...