Re: [Epic] Overwatched Barrages

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:44:50 -0500

Hi, Bart. Reasonable question. Here's my shot at it.

Bart Koehler wrote:
> Anyway, someone please explain to me why Barrages, particularly Indirect
> 90cm Heavy Artillery type barrages can be overwatched?! As an Orc player I
> tend to have areas of my army that are somewhat dense with boyz, yes it's
> true. These overwatched barrages are getting to be a bit troublesome. How
> can these shots be put on overwatch. Do they have a meteorologist doing a
> better job at reading wind currents and humidity? Perhaps they have a
> laser topology of the battle field which allows them to redirect barrages?
> (Note the sarcasm) A barrage is a barrage. A better aimed barrage is
> still a barrage. I just don't think that these types of shots should be
> able to go on overwatch. It is not as if the units shooting can control
> the blast area once they've shot. Anyway, I would like some of you
> experienced players to explain why my boyz are getting flattened by these
> overwatched barrages. End of rant.

The normal activity for a detachment is to move and shoot. If you
do not move, you can spend more time shooting, and can use results
from one shot to improve the next (assuming you have some feedback).
I could see artillery moving across a field or even down the road
not being as effective as artillery spending the same amount of time
not having to worry about moving, but just shooting.

Someone who does not move but does not go into overwatch represents
a detachment that has not taken advantage of the lull in other activity
to fire as effectively as possible.

So I think it represents shooting more shots as well as added
accuracy, and the extra accuracy comes from being able to use
the tools they've got more effectively.

Makes sense to me. If you can keep artillery on its toes, not
being able to sit still and just shoot, it will be more effective.

andy
askinner_at_...