Re: [Epic] Slow Today

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 03:10:10 -0400 (EDT)

Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...> writes:
> Recently I bought some Armoury spray primer, white. It sprayed some
> miniatures, metal and plastic, and while one of the land raiders got a
> little too much, and had little bubbles dried in it, it seemed to come out
> pretty well. But then I noticed there was a fine white powder where I
> sprayed, and also some of the plastics didn't come out so good.

        Yeah... I posted earlier how my primer obscures detail. I
thought it was Citadel, but it's actually Armory. (Thought the two
were the same thing for a while) I think it's just because it's
slightly powedery, and turns the entire miniature into a uniform
white. I can't pick out detail well on an all-white mini.

> What is the best value, best spraying, just plain best spray primer
> available.

        I haven't found anything better than Krylon primer yet, though
most primers seem to be about the same. However, I have trouble
finding Krylon primer except in Grey and Brown, so some of my stuff is
being primed grey these days. OTOH, it's really cheap ($2-$3?) and
can be found at your local K-mart or Walmart. (Shop S-Mart!)

> ditto for varnish, I've noticed my so called Matte Varnish from Ral Partha
> is really, well, gloss. It doesn't bug me that much, because the worst
> models for it a 25mm, and since that includes my ratskins, who just look
> sweaty (and seeing they are all running or in combat, it doesn't look so
> bad) Still, next time I buy a can of matte spray varnish, what would you
> suggest. I'll suffer a little gloss for less money.

        I'm too lazy and don't mind the shiny stuff, so I just seal
with whatever's handy. But most of the people I talk to seal with the
sturdiest glossy varnish they can find, and then spray again lightly
with Testor's Dullcote. Glossy tends to protect better.

Mark