Re: [Epic] The WORST GW rules

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 19:47:58 -0500

Ken Taborek wrote:

> But, you either rounded up, or rounded down. I said round to nearest
> integer. Give me till tomorrow to have a chance to look at my chart, and
> I'll get it exact. :-P

Ok in 8 cases the nearest int concept dosn't cut it either, 7 if you
assume that 0 dice = 1 dice. One of those 8 cases is 20, which, by your
formula, should be a now brainer, as it comes out in even numbers.

This is getting a bit carried away, lets just say that there is a reason
why GW prints the fire power chart every where it can. I have 2 copies
of E40K, plus all the WD that have E40K stuff in them and I have 7
copies of the chart. It's not an easy formula, it's some random numbers
more or less following a formula with variable rounding effects.

Data follows. Non geek stop reading here.

FP March Open Cover
Raw 1 0.8 0.5 0.4
Up 1 1 1 1 Correct
Down 1 0 0 0
Note: Nearest int would be 1 1 0

Raw 2 1.6 1.0 0.8
Up 2 2 1 1 Correct
Down 2 1 1 0
This is nearest int

Raw 3 2.4 1.5 1.2
Up 3 3 2 2
Down 3 2 1 1
Book 3 2 2 1
Book is nearest int assuing round .5 up

Raw 4 3.2 2.0 1.6
Up 4 4 2 2
Down 4 3 2 1
Book 4 3 2 2
book is nearest int

Raw 5 4.0 2.5 2.0
Up 5 4 3 2 Correct
Down 5 4 2 2
book is nearest int

Raw 6 4.8 3.0 2.4
Up 6 5 3 3 Correct
Down 6 4 3 2

Raw 7 5.6 3.5 2.8
Up 7 6 4 3
Down 7 5 3 2
Book 7 5 4 3
nearest int is 6 4 3. No way to book answer (NWTBA)

Raw 8 6.4 4.0 3.2
Up 8 7 4 4
Down 8 6 4 3 Correct
down is nearest int