Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 00:40:30 -0400

><rant>
>In 1914, WAY before computer aids to shooting, the British rifle fire
>from their long service infantry was so accurate and long ranged that
>the Germans thought the Brits had 3-5 machine guns per company, when in
>fact they had on 4 or so per battalion. They expepted kills at 800+
>meters That would be 400 inchs in Wh40K or 250cm in E40K. If you spend
>10+ years of your life training to shoot a high power rifle you get damm
>good.
>
>Space Marines spend 100% of their life in training or in war. Why in the
>hell do they only shoot to 48 meters? When I was in the Army I spent
>some time as a range safety NCO, where I watched people that had never
>fired an rifle in their life be able to hit a 50 meter target (which
>would be equal to the upper 1/3 of a human body) at least 75% of the
>time after one day, and pushing 100% of the time after 2-3 days. All GW
>ranges for fire arms are WAY to short, unless of course you are doing a
>Waterloo game. Oh, wait a second, they are, I forgot again.
></rant>

Well, I'm sure self-propelled explosive rounds are a little much, but sure,
go ahead and build a house solely to play games on a 20x20 yard table so
there will actually be such a thing as out of range for your realistic
games. I do have a question, was the upper 1/3 of the human body firing
back, or hiding in cover. Why, I remember an episode of Police Squad where
there was a gun fight at less then a meter, with no hits on either side.

I'm sure playing a game where you see who can push a little red button and
launch nuclear weapons faster to win would be more fun that a rough and
tumble game of WH40K or Epic.

Tyler
And I'm not even ranting