Re: [Epic] The ages of Warhammer was mixing (long)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 12:50:59 -0500

Oki Purwanto wrote:

> At 09:40 AM 9/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Aaron P Teske wrote:
> ><major snip>
>
> (Major snip)
><major major snip>

> >5) This is important one....
> > "Nowadays there are no Squat Stronghold planets in the Imperium it self,
> the last having
> >secceded during the Age of Apostacy". (Codex: Imperial Guard, page 8,
> paragraph 6)
> >
> >Which leads me to 2 simple statements
> >1) The current rules are set after the Age of Apostasy and
>
>From the Codex Sisters of Battle, you are right :)
>
> >2) Warhammer 40,000 (Rogue Trader) and Epic Space Marine 2nd Ed are set IN
> the Age of Apostasy or
> >before.
> >

> Not quite sure about the "before' part. Remember, Epic SM already had
> Tyranids, whose incursion was fairly recent. And the first hive fleet was
> defeated (Codex Tyranids) by Marneus Calgar 250 years ago (?), the current
> Lord Macragge.

It is my stated belief that Hive War is the expection to the SM/TL rules being in/during the Age
of Apostasy. My first post on this subject last week went into this in some detail. Basicly it
is a bolt on for the current age, which i call "The Tyranid Wars". There was some talk about my
thoughts on this subject, which basicly stated that Chaos an 'Nids used a similar army design,
which never really hit me because, it seems, my local (former) chaos play that I had played with
did his armies wrong, or so it seems. He just did CSM as if they were normal SM but used all the
"little cards" as if they were support cards. I think the GD were used as Special cards, but I
don't recall off the top of my head. I know he didn't use GD's other than the primarcs all that
often, if at all.

> >This explains why the "old" WH40K rule's fluff was so much darker than the
> current rule's fluff.
> >We are comparing WWII Nazi Germany with, say NATO in the Gulf War. Both
> were major wars, to be
> >sure, but in general life is a little better now than in the 1940's
> >

> But did you notice that the fluff is getting darker recently. True, it is
> not quite like the good ole days, but it has gotten darker since the days of
> Codex Space Wolves where Logan Grimnar (SW Great Wolf/commandeer) is one of
> the most recognised face in Imperium, "well loved by masses of the Imperium"
> or something like that. Blah !!!

I don't have the latest Codex, but it seems I will be needing it. Sigh.