Re: [Epic] Tyranids vs Tyranids

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 16:25:38 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 1-Sep-97 Re: [Epic] Tyranids vs Tyra.. by Tyler
Provick_at_intranet.c
> A single minded killing machine would be someone who cares only for battle,
> spends all his time recoveing, training, or fighting battles. If you climb
> the biggest mountain on your planet, just to have the pleasure of serving in
> a fighting force, then yes, you are a single minded killing machine because
> that is all you care about.

Well, I don't think the kids doing the climbing quite know what they're
getting into; they just know that the kids who've made it before them
have come back down to visit and have been accorded the highest honours
possible.

> A beserker is not neccesarily a single minded killing machine (I'm talking
> anybody that freaks out in battle for the purpose of un-nerving the enemy,
> and also forgeting about being killed) Because after the battle he may have
> gone home to is wife and kids.

Right.

> Space Marines rarely have friends, and if they do, what are they gonna talk
> about, the last football match between Armageddon and Necromunda? No, they
> are probably gonna talk about their guns, or the tactics used in the last
> battle, or maybe they won't talk at all, they'll just train together,
> silently.

Well, you never know, GW hasn't given us fluff from inside a fortress
monastary. But still, you've probably got the right idea.

>True it is a strong bond, and they gain comfort from being around
> each other, but they aren't sitting there, on the firing range going, "Ahh,
> it sure is nice for Ezekial here to be shooting beside me, I feel very
> comforted" No, their consentrating on hitting targets.

Yeah. But that doesn't mean all they think of is the fight... here's a
snip from Adeptus Titanicus, Codex Titanicus (Heresy era):

[Marnoc just arrived at the front lines to take command of the Titan he
was just assigned to.] He stepped aside into an arched doorway as a
full company of Space Wolves jogged by at the double, bolters held colse
to their armoured chests; thin, fanatic faces for once not covered by
their sinister helmets. Of all those at Castra Septus only the Adeptus
Astartes seemed oblivious to the possibility of defeat. The image of
blank-faced military precision was somewhat dented when the last one to
pass winked at him."

Well, OK, maybe that doesn't prove anything, but it's a fun little bit
of text. ^_-

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...