RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:36:35 -0500

>>Space Marines spend 100% of their life in training or in war. Why in the
>>hell do they only shoot to 48 meters? When I was in the Army I spent
>>some time as a range safety NCO, where I watched people that had never
>>fired an rifle in their life be able to hit a 50 meter target (which
>>would be equal to the upper 1/3 of a human body) at least 75% of the
>>time after one day, and pushing 100% of the time after 2-3 days. All GW
>>ranges for fire arms are WAY to short, unless of course you are doing a
>>Waterloo game. Oh, wait a second, they are, I forgot again.
>
>Playability. If we played with real stats you would need a football field
>to play on. watch a microarmor game. teeny, weeny little guys runnin
>around with itsee bitsee tanks shootin each other. The game is not a
>simulation, it is a recreation. Pick one or the other for GW is most
>assuredly never going to do both.
>
> That Chuk Guy
>
>modern warfare game. push button / slash launch missile / lob lots of ammo.

------> For something maybe more comparible to a titan slugfest, try
playing
a game of Harpoon (the miniature game, not the computer) - hmm, let's
see,
this missile has a range of x miles, moves 500 mph, etc. You need a lot
of
room to play, particularly with aircraft.
        I'd say that pushing the reality factor too hard in any GW game is a
mistake.
Is it fun? OK, then, we can work with the rest. I mean the one thing
which hooked
me on WH40K in 1987-88 was an ad in the dragon which mentioned
"chainswords".
That one word caught my attention, and I thought any game that can
summon up
imagery like that with a single word is worth checking out...
Would any modern army use axes and swords? - no. But it's a cooler
universe where
they do, and if they have to water down the long-arms to make it work,
I'll pay that
price.

Chris Miller