RE: [Epic] The ages of Warhammer was mixing (long)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:19:00 -0500

>I mean, with each new book, they don't change rules, they just explain what
>is going on with Chief Justice Winston Stark and his little tiff with the
>Sorrento religion. It isn't an excuse to add new miniatures, it is to make
>the background realistic. Sure, you might not care about Stark, but your GM
>just mentions what he is doing, for fluff. Right now Terra Nova, the planet
>on which Heavy Gear is based, is on the brink of a huge civil war. People
>can only guess what will happen, and as you keep up with sourcebooks, the
>fluff is from a slightly later date.
>
>Tyler

-----> Well, B-tech has been advancing the timeline for roughly 11 years
now, starting
in 3025, now up to 3058 or so. They've added some rules, sure, to cover
new units, but
they also have novels and supplements without new rules, just political
changes and
maybe some new units (using the current tech).They do the same "newer
supplements
are from newer years" thing too. Empires have broken off and been
destroyed, rulers
have been killed, mech units destroyed, etc.

SFB doesn't add new tech anymore, they just have a detailed timeline
from Y150 or so
(the time of the original series) up to Y202 (that's 50+ years) where
races/empires
rise and fall, a general war lasting almost 20 years with all races
involved, the sagas of
individual ships (The Federation CVA MacArthur finally leads a
battlegroup which finally
reaches the Romulan capital planet, but is ripped up to the point it
goes down on the
planet, contaminating quite a bit of the surface.) The galaxy is invaded
by an alien menace,
forcing several races to ally to fight them off. The history drives the
scenarios which drive
the game.

Harpoon _has_ to keep up with yea rto-year changes, cause it's modern
naval combat...

Traveller has some massive history, and there have been some nice games
drawn from
it. During the Megatraveller "rebellion" era, each new book shed more
light on things and
advancing the timeline, culminating in Hard Times, where the empire had
pretty much
collapsed. The next edition of the game picked up with the "New Era"
after some worlds
began to recover from the war. The latest edition goes back to the
founding of the empire,
1000 years earlier.

It would be kinda nice if GW would do some of this - at least we'd have
a more palatable excuse
for the constant "new-mini you must buy it" factor...

Chris Miller