RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:29:04 -0500

>The 40K battle (and Epic 40K) is meant to be equal point wise . Too
>much of any one thing will unbalance the game. A Chaos player in our
>groups pictures his 40K unit as the Elite strike force of an Epic
>Army. He fields All Khorne Terminators with as many Reaper AC as
>possible (2 out of every 3 models) and 3 Daemon Tanks of Nurgle (extra
>Armor). Last Sunday another player with a Raven Wing had a very
>difficult time.
>(Your Point?)
>Well the same player (Chaos of coarse) fields Terminators in LR and
>Daemons (3 units of 6xLord or Change).

-----> Ah, another member of the choir - let me preach a bit more:
Your second sentence is what seperates reasonable people from
cheesemongers - " There's no rule that I can't take 50 stands of
terminators" or LR's or whatever.
May not be a rule, but at some point the background _must_ come
into play, and if you don't know a whole lot about the background,
why then let me educate you...
        This argument is similar to the "I don't have that WD so I don't
use that rule." Sorry, if there's been an official rules change (which
WD is)
and you aren't aware of it, that's your problem. I feel the same way
about the background info. If your bud uses 2/3 autocannon termiess
 en masse in WH40K, I have a big problem with his <ahem> "Style of
Play".

>It is hard to find a balance. It is unrealistic (funny word to use
>when describing a game) to fight every Epic40K and 40K battle with
>armies consisting of 100% Elite forces. Sure it is fun to field such
>an unstoppable juggernaught once in a while. Wargammers don't like to
>play armies made up of all Ratlings and Penial Legions either. I
>think you need to find a balance.
----> Yep, we've thrashed out the imperial all-star team a few times on
this list too, or the ork player who wants to use 20 Land Raiders in the
guise os "...but they're Blood Axes." Push the point system far enough
and it will break.

Chris Miller