[Epic] Ork mobs was marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 10:24:48 -0500

MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT wrote:

> MadMac replies:
> Sheesh go get a Mountain Dew (I don't do coffee). What's a site
> tech?
>
> OK Gretchen 35cm away and Shooty Boyz 40cm away. Maybe a little split
>
> fire is in order. You shouldn't be allowed to ignore them and their
> mere presence should not force you into stupid moves. Maybe that's
> why I don't write game rules.
>
> As to the second part on "Covering fire". True, the example was not
> perfect but it is as close as Epic40K is going to get to FM 100-5. It
>
> is still just a game. I will never type again without footnoted
> references and page numbers and expert commentary };^')
>
> Maybe I am still to 40Kish. I do believe that troops should not be on
>
> the battle field to meerly provide a screen for other units. Besides
> our Shooty Boyz are going to have gretchen in the detachment with them
>
> soaking up shots, they don't need the other fools.

< personal question > What branch is your CPT in? I was a ADA NCO, so,
of course, my view of the world may or may not be correct. Your most
likely are correct, in that E40K doesn't really let you do some things
that FM 100-5 says you can do. I do know, to use an example, that
hostile ADA units were supposed to be taken out first, if you had air
support coming in, even ahead of enemy armor.
< /personal question >

For what it is worth, I don't put grots in with my main force units, as
I feel that it is contrary to fluff and spirit of Orkness. I make a
"special" mob of grots (1 "Runtbot / Stompa" Warboss, 4 stands Nobz
(RuntHerdz figures) and 9 mobs of 3 stands each grots. Their function
in life is to go grab the closes hostile objective marker, sit on it an
blast any thing that gets close. I added in one Stompa in support
because I have a total of 2 Runtbot figures. Total cost of this
detachment is about 270 points and it will stop any thing that gets
close to it, for at least one turn. Also is use for some role-playing
comedy bits, like declaring firing, even though there is nothing in
range.
"The grots fire"
"At what"
"That spot over there, they didn't like it"