RE: [Epic] Ork mobs was marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 07:48:53 +0200

----------
From: J. Michael Looney[SMTP:mlooney_at_...]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 1997 5:25 PM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: [Epic] Ork mobs was marine chapters (was: Orks with
LandRaiders)

>< personal question > What branch is your CPT in? I was a ADA NCO,
so,
>of course, my view of the world may or may not be correct. Your
most
>likely are correct, in that E40K doesn't really let you do some
things
>that FM 100-5 says you can do. I do know, to use an example, that
>hostile ADA units were supposed to be taken out first, if you had
air
>support coming in, even ahead of enemy armor.
>< /personal question >

OK I'll do it. But this is my first time on a mail list and I've only
been doing that for two weeks so somebody let me know if this gets out
of hand or is inappropriate. (A VIRGIN!) Hey be nice.

I was a SGT (E-5) tanker in the M-1 (this is before it became the M1E1
and the M-1 Heavy).
I an currently a CPT in the Chemical Corps specializing in Nuclear,
Biological, and Chemical Warfare. (and before anyone asks I will not
join in the discussion on nuclear weapons I saw on the list - I can
recommend some books if you are that interested)

I don't want to leave everyone out. The FM 100-5 barb we have been
throwing about is the generic Army Field Manual on Operations. When
wargamers talk about Sun Tsu, Mass, and overwatch they pretty much
have it covered.

Since overwatch does not allow you to fire during movement the only
way you can effect the enemy during his turn is prepatory barrage. It
is kind of like being in a Battalion or Brigade Command Post. You
cannot do anything about the enemy attacking you troops until you
receive a report and by then you are already taking casualties. Once
a unit is engaged they are for all intents and purposes out of your
control until the engagement ends. (the old no plan survives contact
with the enemy rule). The mandatory fallback rule realistically
(there's that funny word to describe a game again) depicts combat in
that way. ****My opinion remember.
The only way a commander can effect an engagement already in progress
is add more troops to it. In this way Epic40K is less tactical and
more operational.

Now after saying it is a good simulation of an isolated unit in a
direct fire engagement, I want to go on record in saying that I hate
it when my 400pt Space Wolf detachment goes on fallback orders. It
may be realistic but I don't have to like it.

When you talk ADA (real world or game?) are you talking about the Flak
units or the snap fire everyone gets.

I dumped 12 drop pods full of blood claws (cc 5! Wow) on a unit of
three Lords of Change. Imagine my surprise when they did not get 1
snap fire shot per GD but 1 Snap Fire shot per GD per drop pod w/I
10cm (12 shots!). 3 drop pods shot down! Curses.

For what it is worth, I don't put grots in with my main force units,
as
I feel that it is contrary to fluff and spirit of Orkness. I make a
"special" mob of grots (1 "Runtbot / Stompa" Warboss, 4 stands Nobz
(RuntHerdz figures) and 9 mobs of 3 stands each grots. Their
function
in life is to go grab the closes hostile objective marker, sit on it
an
blast any thing that gets close. I added in one Stompa in support
because I have a total of 2 Runtbot figures. Total cost of this
detachment is about 270 points and it will stop any thing that gets
close to it, for at least one turn. Also is use for some
role-playing
comedy bits, like declaring firing, even though there is nothing in
range.
"The grots fire"
"At what"
"That spot over there, they didn't like it"

Hey I am always in favor of doing something in a game because it is
fun. As you may have notice from my 40K stories I a little tired of
the (what did you all call it) "power-pointing".

I use 2 LR and 2 WG Term stands in every detachment to replicate the
wolfguard leaders dispersed through the army. Now I find out two LR
per detachment is cheesy, espically when I add Atk Bikes (Help me Obi
Wan, I've gone to the dark side).

I cannot bring Wolfguard without landraiders.

Sidebar: Early on we agreed that Terminators should take up 2
Transport slots. I never did it but the thought of 18 Heavy Weapon WG
Terminators fp 2 cc 3 delivered by Thunderhawks kept the Chaos player
up at night.

Whew, somebody stop me.

MadMac