RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:25:28 -0500

>Sidebar: It is humorous to listen to "cheesy-reasoning". The Chaos
>Player(40K) claims that his army is unbeatable and with all Khorne 2+
>save terminators with HW he may be right. When he is accused of
>playing an out of control army he claims that he is afraid of the
>Eldar. The Eldar player does not help matters. Jon, the Eldar
>player, also feels the All Term Chaos army is out of control, but he
>tells the Chaos player he can beat it with an out of control Eldar
>Army.
>Well that's no help at all.

-----> You might wanna check some Q&A's on that 2+ Chaos Terminator
Armor.
Khorne's Armor is 2+ on 1d6, termie armor is 3+ on 2d6, and the only one
who gets 2+ on 2d6 is Abbaddon, and it even says "unique-Abbaddon only".
So if Smartboy is using 2+ on 2d6 for all his normal termies, he may
have a problem...

>So all of the 40K players are upset that all I want to do is play
>Epic40K. But, I own 90% of the terrain so they are stuck with it.
> Bwaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaa!
>
>I still have problems with the Supreme Commander. I don't like the
>idea of not bringing one. All military operations have a single
>tactical commander in charge of all ground forces.
-----> There ought to be SOME unit "in command", even if it was just
a regular unit captain designated as the "big guy" just for this battle.
They've made some room for this in 40K with any character leading small
forces, but we don't have it yet in 40K I guess...

>In a related note. Targeting: I do not think all units should be
>able to ignore closer detachments for juicer targets. Now before you
>"Flame On", remember I said not "all". Titans and other special
>"elite" units could probably ignore targeting restrictions because
>they have special missions and priority of fires (as in 40K).

-----> I don't get the venom on this issue either. The reason there's a
rule in 40K for this is that if I'm in a unit about to be charged by a
squad 20' (3-4") away, I'm probably gonna shoot them, and not that
other squad 100' (15") away, no matter that they're about to break and
the guys right by me aren't. It gives the model a bit of a say in things
overriding the player's desire to sacrifice everyone.
I don't think it's in E40K but it wouldn't light my fuse if it was...

Chris Miller