Re: [Epic] Painting Question

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 14:22:30 -0800

>The way to stip off acrlyic paints is damn easy....

>Apply to your miniatures hot water (I mean HOT - not neccesarily
>boiling!), and it will eventually peel away, some coaxing maybe needed
>to get in out of the cracks, but for that, just use a toothbrush, and
>voila, your mini has no paint. Note though, that this will not get rid
>of the GW spray primer.

Oh, I have a lovely story about trying to strip the paint off of a Phantom
Titan I bought from some kid. It had been painted in some unknown paints
(among which were apparently White-out) and hadn't been deflashed or cleaned
up in any way before being defaced with its hideous pain(t) job. So I
decided to dip it into acetone to remove all the different sorts of paint,
seeing that acetone seems able to eat through anything. However, I decided
to remove the parts of my Phantom Titan from each other first, as I figured
it would be easier to clean up the the Titan in pieces. Someone suggested
me to try using boiling water to melt the superglue, so silly me, I tried
it! Even before touching the Titan to the water, the plastic base began to
go funny in the steam, getting a little soft and mushy, and I'm sure if I
had given it long enough it would have started to drip. The moral of my
story is: keep GW plastics far, far away from boiling water. (though the
superglue did come off, and the acetone did make the "paint" come off :P)

Michael the Liu