Re: [Epic] [E40K] Battle Report, part III

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 09:03:12 -0700

At 09:49 PM 9/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>> Yes, but are you allowed to get that 30 cm first move if you are in a
>>> transport. It is supposed to reflect the fact that the scouts are
>>>ahead of
>>
>>IMHO, Yes. As we play here, it's fine to do this. It's not that
>>potent, gives infiltrators a bit more reason for existence and really
>>doesn't feel like powergaming.
>
>By allowig the rhinos to transport, you are giving them infiltrate
>ability, and the rules specifically state that transports do not gain
>the special abilities of the infantry they are carrying (page 38, last
>paragraph). So it is definitely against the rules to let the rhinos
>infiltrate.

        <snip>

        You are making incorrect assumptions. Allowing Rhinos to transport is NOT
giving them the infiltrate ability. Putting a Rhino 30 cm onto the table
beyond the deployment zone would be allowing them to Infiltrate; letting a
Rhino move 60 cm in the first turn would be allowing them to Infiltrate.
Letting them CARRY a unit which infiltrates is definitely within the
"spirit" of the rules.

        <snip>
>I think it's also against the spirit of rules, since scouts don't
>even get rhinos in the first place. You have to field them with a
>different squad (which then walks) in order to put the scouts in them.
>
>Furthermore, your interpretation of the rules means putting scouts in
>landraiders would allowthe landraiders to infiltrate, and that would
>definitely be cheesy.
>
>David

Nickles