RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 11:10:57 -0500

>If the enemy detachment obstructs line of sight, they won't be able to
>fire at the enemies behind it unless they're skimmers or titans who are
>high off the ground. Friendly units do not obstruct LOS, but enemy
>units do (AFAIK).

-----> OK, quick now, somebody with the rules handy remind us whether
enemy units block LOS.
         If they do, then this pick any target issue mostly goes away,
except for skimmers and big stuff. In the covering a retreating unit
example that was used,
you could because your covering unit would block LOS to the runners (for
infantry anyway).

        The other example with gretchen in front charging some dev's, with
Shooty boys in back
would end with the devs shooting at the gretchen because they couldn't
see the shooters -
assuming everyone was on a flat surface. if the devs were up on some
kind of hill etc, then they
could shoot either one.

        This makes a lot of sense IMO because these are all direct fire
weapons, so they aren't
going to be arcing lascannon shots over people's heads like a mortar.
This gives players a reason to
"seize the high ground", an ancient military principle. It also gives
the big War Engines an
advantage that I think they should have, based on their height. This
falls down a bit with the
"friendly troops don't block line of sight" rule, but I can live with
it. Honestly, I figure most troops
are going to make some effort not to shoot their buddies in the back,
but they aren't going
to worry about which set of badguys get hit - the first row or the
second row? "Who cares,
we gotta shoot 'em all sooner or later." - so the first enemy unit gets
nailed until it's gone,
then the next, etc. If enemy troops block LOS, you don't need the "shoot
the closest" rule -
it will take care of itself, and it's even somewhat "realistic" (dare I
use that phrase?).

Chris Miller