[Epic] Off-topic - Canadian mil. history

From: Antony Van Der Linden <Antony.VanDerLinden_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:41:49 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

        just thought some of you Canadian guys might be interested to know
there was a doco about the Canadian RAF on telly here (Australia) last
night (on SBS for the Aussies who were wondering). It was quite good, I'm
afraid I missed the start so can't tell you the title but there was a bit
about the early development of the CRAF/RCAF (what's its called?) but most
of it concentrated on the famous 'Dambusters', and the development of
their skipping depth-chargers.
        It was great to hear about how these guys flew Lancasters at
60ft?!! to get the right movement of the charge. There was a discussion of
the less successful dambuster raid too (the one not in the 1950's movie),
the bombers flew 600km to the target to find that there was a heavy low
fog which completely obscured the target, hence that op wasn't very
successful. I was surprised that the casualities were so high, I knew
there were usually horrendous losses on Bombing raids but the PR was so
good that even today I guess the common man/woman has different ideas.

Thanks,
        Tony.

 Tony VanDerLinden - |
 E-mail: |